Using the Autosuggest element requires the creation of a valid answer file, which contains a list of all the answers you would like to be suggested to participants as they type. The answer file can be created using a simple spreadsheet application, like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
1: File Requirements
Your answer file must be uploaded in .xls, .xlsx, .txt, .csv, or .dat format. Additionally, the following requirements apply to each type of answer file:
- .txt and .csv file contents must be either tab-delimited or comma-separated.
- .dat file contents must be tab-delimited.
Note: Any valid non-.dat answer file will be converted to .dat format on upload.
Note: If your answer file was originally saved in Excel (in .xls or .xlsx format), you can use the
excelToTab option for the Upload/Replace Files API endpoint to convert your file to .dat format prior to uploading. This option is automatically enabled when uploading files via the Autosuggest element.
1.1: Required Variables
The answer file must contain at least two columns – an answer key column as well as an answer value column. These columns should be labeled as follows:
- uniqueKey: The unique ID for each answer value.
- answerKey: The answer values that are suggested as participants start typing.
In addition to these two columns, the list may include additional variables to filter how answer values are suggested.
1.2: Optional Variables
The following additional variables are optional:
- language: The survey language code (
decLangvalue) to be used for displaying answers. Only answers with language values matching a participant’s assigned survey language will be suggested.
- filter1: One or more unique values to be used for displaying answers. Only answers matching the values a participant entered will be suggested. Multiple filter values should be comma-separated.
- filter2: Additional values to be used for displaying answers. Only answers matching the values a participant entered will be suggested. Multiple filter values should be comma-separated.
Note: You may specify up to two filters for a single element. Additional filters of this type are not supported at this time.
1.3: Additional Considerations
The following considerations and limitations apply when creating an answer list:
- Larger files (i.e., files containing 10,000+ rows) may affect performance and cause loading delays.
- You can upload files up to 50 MB in size.
2: Example File
Below is an example of an answer list created in Notepad, which contains the required key variables, as well as two filter variables and a language variable.